If you’re like me, these short pages used on websites are just not enough detail to really get a feel for whether you want to work with someone. I get it. So I’m going to answer my most frequently asked questions here. If you have one I haven’t heard before, scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and fill out the Contact Leann form. This goes straight to my inbox and I will answer as soon as possible.
Q1. Who do you help? How do I know if we are a good fit?
A1. I help people who are uncomfortable in uncertainty. I offer a proactive and smarter plan for working with painful thoughts and feelings when your world has been turned upside down and life breaks your heart. We’re a good fit if you’re looking for something that really helps. (oh, there is no end to this play on words.)
Let’s start with the obvious – you realize you can’t go back and change what’s happened. You know you can’t undo the breakup or divorce; you can’t just show up at your former job; you can’t erase the diagnosis; and you can’t reverse the death of someone you still love.
Yes, that’s broad, but there are a few personality traits that we can use to find out if we would get along well together.
- Are naturally curious. You question most things you come across and at times may appear skeptical, but generally you’re good natured.
- You know of people who have been thru a divorce/ lost a job/ been diagnosed with an illness. While your head knows that people do make it through, you having a hard time doing it yourself.
- You worry. Often. Past, future – you name it – you have worried about it.
- You’ve read self help books in the past but you’re just too busy (or miserable) to read everything out there and assemble all the knowledge you’re looking for. OR you’ve done all that and it’s still not working.
- You secretly wonder if there is something “wrong” with you that you’re hurting this badly. You’re starting to wonder if you have what it takes to make it out of the chaos you’re in.
- You mentally beat yourself up.
- You consider yourself at least fairly intelligent and resourceful and have always been able to figure a way out in the past. But this time, you’re wondering why all your previous ways of working just aren’t cutting it.
- You’re starting to explore people who can help. Your search is what lead you to this page.
- You crave relief from all of these unhelpful habits but you just don’t know what else to try.
- You have questions and you feel like you can’t move forward until you have answers.
Q2. Where are the testimonials on your site?
A2. Ok, I have to admit, testimonials do not persuade me so I have a hard time collecting them. However, with my client’s permission, here are a few of my favorite pieces of feedback I’ve ever been told. Since confidentiality is important, I don’t put names or states, but I assure you this is feedback from real people.
- “I can’t believe how much she understood where I was coming from at the very get-go.”
- “I think she was in the room when my boyfriend and I fought. How did she know how our fights go?”
- “She’s the only person in my life where I don’t feel judged. She says I will learn how to not judge myself too. I can’t believe that’s possible.”
- “I didn’t think I was making any sense when I was talking her and she didn’t say anything. Ten minutes later, she’s describing to me why I feel so upset about losing my job when it wasn’t even my fault. I hung up the phone with her feeling like I had something to do and practice rather than just think about what happened over and over again.”
Q3. Ok, but what do you offer that everyone else doesn’t?
A3. I think the biggest differences in what I do is I come from an analytical background but I have found a way to work with the human heart that makes sense. I’m one of the few coaches trained in Acceptance and Commitment Therapy techniques which gives me a unique perspective on how to help the condition of human pain and suffering. I don’t have to know the details of your life to know that we share common experiences in life such as fear and uncertainty. What I do know is how to use a tool that will help *you* see where your life is going awry and where you can change your behavior in order to have the relaxation and freedom that you seek.
My final goal is not to help you lose weight, find a spouse, or get a new job. What I want is for you to stop being miserable and find a what makes you happy and brings meaning into your life, just the way it is. I offer a method that’s grounded in science but has always integrated heart and mind to help you precisely see where you could start doing things differently. I am not going to help you continue to fight against your feelings. I am going to show you that your fears and anxiety don’t have to run your life: you do, and I can show you how.
Q4. Can’t I just read all of this in a book? Why do I need to talk to someone?
A4. You most certainly can learn the theory and research behind what I teach from a book, and I encourage everyone to read about it. Ask and I will send you a reading list. With a little bit of google searching, you’ll find many of the exercises I use as well as stories about how people have changed their lives.
What you won’t find is personalized assessment and explanation into the things that are blocked from your view on how your life could be improved. You won’t feel what it’s like to be asked a question that you never thought of before and have your answer transform your thinking in an instant. You run the risk of using this tool as another weapon to punish yourself or beat yourself up over the changes that aren’t happening from within.
I offer reassurance that everything you’re doing today is for a reason. You may be holding onto things that used to work for you and are now wondering why they no longer help. I offer a way for you to shed useless habits and start healthy ones.